One of my classmate invited me for her family dinner which takes place every Tuesday, and I’ve been join in them since last semester. I appreciate my friend that offered me such a lovely moment. It brings me the feeling of having families because I am away from my family such a long time.
I was expecting to have family dinner two weeks ago, but the information that she texted me the night before was unclear. On that day, her friend picked me up, and we went to Vanderoof to see all of her family! There was one Japanese girl, Asuka in the car that came to Canada for her two weeks abroading program: the family that picked me up was her host family during the program, so they wanted me to translate some words for her. It was quite surprising but I got rare chance to speak my language. I had fun talking to her during driving and dinner. After dinner, we went to a first-nation people’s event; it was small local event bur it reminded me about the presentation of Haida people. The lady at the event let us wear traditional costume made from animal’s skin. It was made over 60 years ago: however, it kept its shape as before. She told us a story about on June 11th, 2008, Canadian prime minister apologized to all the first-nation people in public.
Here is the article that I read
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2149
It was such sad story. The children, automatically put themselves into residential school, were neither allow to spend time with their families, nor learn about their native language and culture. Families are supposed to be together during their lives: however, it was definitely unfair. People have to respect each other, and each culture. I believe; these things should not happen anymore.
Reference
The Prime Minister of Canada
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2149
It's good for you having rare chance to speak your own language. I do have many chance to speak Chinese, but, you know, it's nothing good for my English learning... I agree with you. Those sad things should not happen again. There is no one in this world having the right to break other's families. That's unforgivable!
ReplyDeleteIt is not easy being abroad for such a long time without your family and friends. I can't believe what happened to the first-nation people with their children. How could they do that? We must protect our world.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to live outside your country without your family and friends or adapt a new life. For me, I didn't believe someone could do that things anymore.
ReplyDelete