Thursday, April 14, 2011

ESL 097 writing blog 8


Writing blog 8

The largest, worst earthquake attacked Japan on April 11th, 2:46pm. More than 12,985 people have died, more than 4,646 people are injured, and more than 14,809 people are still missing. It has been almost a month since the earthquake happened; however, still now, people cannot feel safe. Japan Meteorological Agency named this earthquake, “The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake.” The agency recorded Mw 9.0, the number beyond “The South Hyogo Prefecture Earthquake that used to be said the worst earthquake in Japanese history. The Tohoku Earthquake is counted as the forth-worst natural disaster in the world since 1990, according to United Status Geological Survey.
The earthquake brought other natural disasters such as tsunami, conflagration, landslide, etc. Tsunami took everything away from people: cars, houses, family, and even people’s lives. Japan is well-prepared country to the natural disasters, especially earthquake and tsunami; however, the country has got irreversible damage. For instance, the nuclear plant, which is located in Fukushima prefecture, has exploded and people are still be cautions to invisible substance, which is floating in the air.
Feeling frustrating, I strongly thought that I want to help even if I cannot fly back to Japan immediately. CNC and UNBC collaborated to make thousands of origami cranes to make a wish for Japan and Japanese people to recover as soon as possible. We fold 500 cranes at CNC, and UNBC got over 3000 cranes for total. The canes have been sent to Japanese embassy in Canada. Keiko, Hazuki, and I took turn each day and set up the booth at the college. We saw a lot of people folding cranes, and donating money for Japan. Also, I have seen many encouragements on Twitter, Facebook, and other social network system that people posting them on websites. Each words and comments are strong and hopeful. I felt the world is connecting.
It will take a while to recover perfectly, but I believe the country will be stronger and people are tough enough to get over this memory.


(References)
Wikipedia
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/東北地方太平洋沖地震
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/阪神淡路大震災


4 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the earthquake happened in Japan. In China, there are many earthquakes these years, but, if people get together and help each other, everything will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that. We also had several earthquakes last year. I hope japnese can get through this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earthquakes are a kind of very cruel diasters, but I believe that if people work together, they will past all the difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear that, but I believe Japan is a great country and they will past this disaster very quickly.

    ReplyDelete