Idioms
Give it a shot, what a drag, bite the bullet, that’ll be the day, once in a blue moon, having second thoughts, getting cold feet, be chickened out, mind is wandering round, up in the air, etc. ESL students have got opportunities to learn idioms, the phrase or word that have different meaning. I have learned some of them, I have made sentences, and I have asked Canadian about the use and the meaning of idioms; however, I had never heard idioms which I learned in my daily life until I took Leadership. The idioms didn’t sound familiar to me even though I was learning them. My group mates and I were filming the video for our project for Leadership 101. The video camera stopped working somehow; we tried to figure out the solution. Kristina, one of my group mates said, “Alright, let’s give it a shot how it would work.” The spark came across in my brain and the meaning that I learned came up in my mind! I shouted, “Idioms!!” But, they were like, “What are you talking about? What the heck the idiom is??” Surprisingly, Canadian doesn’t know about idioms! I described it and told them how much I was shocked. By the way, it was my first time that I spoke up in a group. They started laughing and said, “You are English learner Ami.” Later on, they became more understandable about international students, showing their interests what I am learning in class. They always make fun of me because I always get excited when I hear idioms in usual conversation. Does it gunny for Canadian? The time I hear idioms, it helps me to memorize it understanding perfectly. Once I started recognize what kind of idioms do Canadian use, I hear them every day and every conversations.
The idiom broke the barrier between my classmates and me, and got involve into Leadership class. Happily, the group mates the one said idiom; she is the closest friends in Leadership class. "Give it a shot" is my favorite idiom so far.
Yes. when I say idioms,I feel myself like a Canadian! You are right. Idioms make us closer. Your speaking is very good. Try more idioms, and your speaking will be better!~
ReplyDeleteI agree with you.Idioms are important not only in everyday conversation, but also in reading.I found lots of idioms when i read book.Good experiences for you.
ReplyDeleteIdioms are very useful to involve in Canadian life, and also I like the idiom "give it a shoot"!
ReplyDeleteThanks to you, I know some other idioms that I didn't know before. I believe so that natives speak idioms naturally. One day when you speak idioms without feeling anything, you are native speaker.
ReplyDeleteThose idioms reminded me Idiom lessons in Advance Listening and Speaking. I also interested in learning idioms, too.
ReplyDeleteI really like idioms and enjoy learning them. Maybe Canadians didn’t realize that they were using idioms when they were speaking. When I used idioms, I thought I was speaking English not writing. I hope I will have more chances to learn more idioms.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your blog, I find that I don't use idioms as ofen as possible. I should try to use them when I talk with my friends. Idioms are very useful, and they can easily express what you mean by. Some of idioms are interesting,right?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI didn't find idioms difficult or strange to me because in my language we use Idioms more often when we speak, and now when I learned idioms in English, I can understand more movies.
ReplyDelete