Wednesday, March 2, 2011

ESL 097 writing blog 1



What do I like about Canada/Canadian

I have been here since last summer, and I have been living with the same roommates, Laura and Alan. They have got two kinds so far: 20 months old Blake, and 3 months old Jessica. Canadian people have different way of raising their kids, which surprised me, and I would like to do when I got my kids. They kiss their kids, hug their kids, and tell them “I love you.” My parents love me a lot; however, they have never said, “I love you” kissing and hugging me, including my sister and my brother. Japanese culture doesn’t have “skin-touch”; touching their kids skin by skin like hugging or kissing. The way, kids can feel they are being loved, and comfortable. In addition, many Canadian people let other people communicate with their kids. That would make easier for people to get close with each other.
I like the environment that is surrounded by English. It helps me to learn the language, and to look back my country, which allows me to learn not only new things, but also things that I have been using or haven’t realized. English has way more variety of vocabularies compared to Japanese, especially related with emotion. English speaker can express their emotion exactly what they feel in many ways. For example….
*tired=down, blue, exhausted, depressed, etc
*happy= cheerful, joyful, glad, pleased, etc
Also, people say, “Oh my god!”, “Holy cow!”; when people surprised or people want to describe their emotion. These phrases help word to be more emphasized. In Japanese, we don’t have similar word in order to express our emotion, Japanese people seems less emotional compared to North American people. (in my opinion)
 My favorite part is mostly culture that Japanese culture doesn’t have. Those are the some examples that I like about Canada/Canadian culture so far.

**

5 comments:

  1. Every country has it own culture and tradition that should be kept in memory. Anyway, travelling around the world broad one's horizon. I think Canadian are more friendly and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my homestay, I learned that it is important to teach the kids to be polite and independent. Although sometimes their parents are strict, it's good for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, when I saw little cute Canadian kids, I wanted to kiss them or hug them. However, my cousin said that "don't kiss the kids".That's impolite. But they are so cute, I couldn't resist my temptation to hug them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like some of Canadian cultures. Just like what you mentioned in your blog, they often express their love to their children. I think in most Asian countries, parents are strict to their children, but it is not always bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond a doubt, differnt countries have differen culture. During these months living in Canada, I also realise that most Canadian people are passion, and they like freewheeling ways of their lives, which is different from my hometown.

    ReplyDelete