Thursday, March 3, 2011

ESL 097 writing blog 3

Different TV show uniqueness

I have been watching TV drama over a year, there are quite difference between American romance and Japanese romance.  In American romance, it doesn’t take time to fall in love, get married, to be in a relationship. The main characters get close immediately, and repeat breaking up. It might be showing real society in the country.  For example, glee; there are main characters Finn, Rachael, and Quinn. At the beginning, Finn and Quinn was a couple, but they broke up in first season because of cheating. Quinn cheated Finn’s best friend, Pack and she pregnant his baby. Later, the other girl, Rachael who liked Finn, became in a relationship with Finn. However, Rachel broke up with Finn, and Finn tried to get back with Quinn because he couldn’t get over her. Quinn was in a relationship with other guy, so she persuades Finn to get back with Rachael. These things go over and over during the show. In other words, it shows that people don’t care others whether who had relation with who, or who used to be in a relation with somebody. The decision making is made by one person, “I.”
                Japanese romance is more complicated and it takes long time to get together. The character refers our society; we act as a group. The character cares others – if were in a relationship with somebody, what other people would think about us/me.  Basically, it takes one season to make things happen. The important events cannot be completed in one episode; people have to wait the climax until next episode.   In addition, Japanese dramas don’t last over 1 or 2 seasons.  The story is written in details and dramatically, most of dramas use popular actress and actresses to spark viewer’s interests.
                Personally, I prefer American romance because I don’t have to wait climax until next episode, and it has more variety of story lines.  

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I like American dramas too. The plots are ups and downs. so they are very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different cultures have different styles in dramas.They have their own interesting plot. I think when we try them, we'll find something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Chinese dramas are simlar to Japanese dramas. Recently years, we follow the American style to show our dramas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From your writing, I have learned the differences between American romance and Japanese romance.

    ReplyDelete